Summer is (unofficially) here and that means ice cream, popsicles and shakes galore…unless, of course, you’re diabetic, in which case you might feel like you have to give up on most of summer’s sweetest cool-down treats. Don’t despair: there are amazing, diabetic friendly alternatives to try out this season.
Start here with a delicious Silky Chocolate Milk Shake from Diabetic Living! Summer = saved!
- 8 ounces light silken-style tofu (soft or firm)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light vanilla ice cream
- 1 -1 1/4 cups ice cubes
- In a blender combine tofu, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla. Cover and blend until smooth. With the motor running, add ice cream in small spoonfuls through the opening in the lid; add ice cubes, one at a time, until smooth and desired consistency. Pour into chilled glasses to serve.
- Chocolate Mocha Milkshakes: Prepare as above except add 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder to the blender along with the cocoa powder.