If you’re diabetic, the notion of receiving a box of chocolates as a Valentine’s Day present is probably less than thrilling…so why not enjoy a sweet treat that won’t throw off your entire weekly meal plan instead?
Try this Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Strawberries from Diabetic Living. It’s perfect to enjoy with a Valentine or all on your own.
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 of a vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla**
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- Whole strawberries (optional)
- For panna cotta, in a heatproof 2-cup glass measure, sprinkle gelatin over the cold water. Let stand for 3 minutes to soften. Scrape vanilla beans from the pod into the measuring cup; add the pod. Place in a saucepan of simmering water. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half and the 2 teaspoons sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove vanilla bean pod and stir mixture. Pour into two 6-ounce martini or champagne glasses or 6-ounce custard cups. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or until firm.
- About 1 hour before serving, in a small bowl, combine vinegar and the 1 teaspoon sugar. Add halved strawberries, tossing to coat. Cover and chill, tossing strawberries occasionally. Drain strawberries before serving.
- To serve, spoon strawberries over panna cotta in glasses. If desired, top each dessert with a whole strawberry.
- *Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda Granular, Equal Spoonful or packets or Sweet 'N Low bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2 teaspoons or 1 teaspoon sugar.
- *Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUGAR SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 105 cal., 17 g carb.
- *Sugar Substitutes: Exchanges: 1/2 other carb.
- *Sugar Substitutes: Carb Choices: 1
- ** If using vanilla, add it with the half-and-half and omit the standing time.