To paraphrase a line from Outkast’s “Roses”: I know you like to think your feet don’t stink, but lean a little bit closer…
Many of us suffer from smelly feet, but only some of us are aware of that fact. If you want to keep your feet fresh and odor free, read on for these scent-defying tips from your Houston podiatrist (and check out my recent blog on why our feet start to smell in the first place!)
1. When wearing closed shoes, always wear socks.
2. Choose shoes made of leather, canvas, mesh, or other breathable materials.
3. Bathe feet daily in lukewarm water, and scrub with a gentle soap. Dry thoroughly before putting on socks again, to prevent fungus from growing.
4. Change your socks everyday; if your feet sweat a lot or you’ve gone to exercise, change more often.
5. Look for patches of red, dry or itchy skin between your toes and on the tops of your feet, as they could indicate a fungal infection that needs immediate treatment.
6. Apply foot deodorant, spray or lotion to quell the smell.
7. Consider switching to a moisture-wicking sock to keep feet dry.
If stinky feet or other foot issues are causing you discomfort, don’t wait for the problem to go away on its own (because it might not!) Schedule an appointment with Dr. Andrew Schneider today so you can start feeling better about your feet (and yourself!)