Fish and Chips-Style Cod (from Diabetic Living)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cod or halibut fillets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup ale or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Malt vinegar
- Fried Parsley (below) (optional)
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk, ale, egg, salt, and pepper until combined. Cover and chill batter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Rinse fish under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish crosswise into eight pieces.
- In an 8-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Dip four pieces of the fish in the batter, turning to coat and letting excess batter drip off. Fry the fish pieces in the hot oil about 4 minutes or until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning once. Transfer fried fish to paper towels; let stand to drain. Place fish on a baking sheet; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining fish pieces.
- Serve fish with malt vinegar and, if desired, garnish with Fried Parsley.
- Fried Parsley: After cooking fish in the oil, add several sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley to the hot oil. Cook until parsley is no longer bubbly. Using a slotted spoon, remove parsley from oil. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 177 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 55 mg chol., 118 mg sodium, 4 g carb. 21 g pro.