While its felt like summer here in Houston for many-a-month now, the season only officially started this week. Looking for the perfect pool-side treat that won’t throw your diabetic meal plan out of whack? Try these Cantaloupe-Tarragon Granitas from Diabetic Living. Yum!
- 1/4 cup sugar*
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 small ripe cantaloupe (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut up (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon peel twists (optional)
- For tarragon syrup: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and the water. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon of the tarragon. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes; strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard solids.
- Place cantaloupe in a food processor or blender; cover and process or blend until smooth. Add the tarragon syrup, the remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon, the finely shredded lemon peel, and lemon juice. Cover and process or blend to combine.
- Pour cantaloupe mixture into a 2-quart baking dish or shallow freezer container. Cover with foil and freeze about 3 hours or until nearly firm, scraping every hour with the tines of a fork so the mixture freezes into coarse crystals.
- To serve, scrape the granita with a fork; scoop into dessert dishes. If desired, garnish with lemon peel twists. Makes 8 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
*Test Kitchen Tip: We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 45 cal., 10 mg sodium, 11 g carb. (1 g fiber, 11 g sugars), 1 g pro.