Looking for a diabetic-friendly mashed potato recipe for Thanksgiving that won’t leave you on carb-overload? Try this amazing pumpkin version from Diabetic Living magazine and be sure to check out our Thanksgiving Pinterest board for much more holiday inspiration!
- 1 pound medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or tub-style vegetable oil spread
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 recipe Miniature Pumpkin Bowls (optional)
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- In a covered large saucepan, cook potatoes and garlic in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed until nearly smooth. Beat in canned pumpkin, cream cheese, butter, ground sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Gradually add milk, beating until light and fluffy. Return to saucepan; heat through.
- If desired, spoon mashed potatoes into Miniature Pumpkin Bowls and garnish with sage leaves. Makes 4 servings (3/4 cup each)