Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy is a new offering in our Houston podiatry office that uses sound waves to help heal the body. It is often used to treat acute and chronic pain of the foot and ankle. Some may wonder is shockwave therapy safe?
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a noninvasive device that uses energy produced by sound waves to help heal injured tissue. The specific form used in our office is called Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology (EPAT). The sound wave energy help to break up scar tissue and stimulate the growth of new tissue. EPAT is often used to treat sports injuries, chronic pain, and tendonitis. The course of Shockwave is three sessions, each a week apart. Each session is less than 10 minutes. Many people feel pain relief after the first session.
What are the Benefits of EPAT?
Shockwave treatment is a relatively new medical treatment that is used to treat a wide variety of conditions. It is a non-invasive treatment that uses sound waves to stimulate the body's natural healing process. It increased blood flow to the injured area.
Shockwave has been shown to be effective in treating conditions such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, Morton's neuroma, tendinopathy, and shin splints. It is also effective in treating conditions that have not responded to other treatments. Shockwave therapy is a safe and effective treatment that can provide relief from chronic pain.
Other benefits include:
- EPAT accelerates the healing process. By increasing blood flow in the injured area, radial pressure waves trigger a natural healing process.
- EPAT is evidence-based. It is backed by clinical studies over the past 30 years.
- EPAT is noninvasive. There's no need to use conventional therapy, such as medication, steroid injections, or surgery. That alone improves your quality of life.
- EPAT treats the source of pain or injury. Shockwave therapy is a form of regenerative medicine. It is actually healing the injured tissue, not simply reducing the inflammation.
- EPAT has a rapid treatment protocol with minimal recovery time.
Is Shockwave Therapy Safe?
Clinical studies have shown that EPAT is a safe and effective approach to treating musculoskeletal and soft tissue conditions. It provides superior results with little to no side effects. This safe, effective treatment has become a popular treatment option. That's because it often replaces the need for surgery and other invasive treatments.
What are the Risks of Shockwave Therapy?
There are very few risks associated with Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy. Occasionally, patients may see minor swelling and bruising in the treated area. If it does happen, the issues don't persist and resolve quickly.
Who Should Not Use EPAT?
Shockwave therapy should not be used:
- If a patient is pregnant
- If a patient has a tumor close to the treated area
- If the patient has a blood clotting disorder
- If the patient has a pacemaker
How Do I Know if Shockwave Is Right For Me?
EPAT is a treatment that has been shown to be helpful for many people. Houston podiatrist Dr. Andrew Schneider will perform a comprehensive evaluation for your condition. He will help determine if shockwave is best for your condition. Contact our Houston office and we'll get you in for an appointment.