This past weekend, I had the pleasure of joining many of my fellow podiatrists at a conference in Las Vegas, and along with all the incredibly useful educational opportunities I received, I also gleaned one shocking new piece of information:
There exists a machine that PUTS YOUR SOCKS ON FOR YOU!!
That’s right, for only $19.99, the Sock Slider, according to its website:
- Puts your socks on for you so you don't have to bend far over
- [Has a] unique cradle design [that] expands and holds your sock open
- Keeps your sock in the perfect position so all you have to do is slide your foot in
- Makes taking your socks off easy
- Helps put on your shoes, too
- Great for those with limited range of movement
- Packs up easily for convenient travel
I don’t want to poke fun at those who truly can’t put on their socks for medical reasons, of course, but this machine just seems to be a major call to laziness (plus a gimmicky way for a manufacturer to make a quick buck.)
Those with limited mobility can engage in activities to improve flexibility; people with pain can seek treatment to mange that pain to the point where every day activities like putting on socks are possible.
I ask you, faithful readers, do you see a place in our world for a machine that puts your socks on? Let me know in the comments!