I know that managing your diabetes can start to feel overwhelming at times, particularly at meal times. Between planning for carbs and sugars and managing an already-busy schedule, getting a fresh, home-cooked meal on the table for dinner can seem like an impossible task! That’s why I love one-pot meals: quick, healthy and so very little hands on prep time. Try this Quick Hamburger Soup from Diabetic Living that’s sure to please even the pickiest (and busiest!) of crowds.
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups lower-sodium beef broth
- 2 14 1/2 - ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, turkey, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Add beef broth, undrained tomatoes, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; stir in potatoes. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If desired, garnish with additional sage. Makes 12 (1-cup) servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare soup as directed through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Heat and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 103 calories, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 10 g carb. (1 g fiber), 10 g protein.