Managing your diabetic meal plans can not only feel overwhelming, but it can also start to become isolating—taking you away from family dinners and gatherings. I’m here to help. Following a special diet feels less lonely when you include your family members in your plans. Try this Wine Glazed Steak for Two from Diabetic Living. Appropriately balanced for your dietary needs, yet tasty enough to tempt the whole family into sampling from your plate!
- 1 boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (8 to 10 ounces total)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or low-calorie cranberry juice*
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- Trim fat from steak; cut steak into two equal portions. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steaks. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 to 13 minutes or until desired doneness (145 degrees F for medium-rare or 160 degrees F for medium doneness), turning steaks occasionally. If steaks brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low. Transfer steaks to a serving platter; cover with foil and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and crushed red pepper to skillet; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Carefully add wine or cranberry juice. Return to heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and honey; return to simmering. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Spoon over steaks.
- * If using the cranberry juice option, omit the honey.