Why not get make your first diabetic food diary entry for the day a great one with these Applesauce Pancakes from Health.com.
Servings: 10 Serving Size: 1 pancake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
- Fresh fruit slices (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle, spreading to a 5-inch circle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn pancakes, and cook other side.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit, if desired (syrup and fruit not included in analysis).
- Tip: One tablespoon of sugar-free maple syrup has 8 calories and 3 grams of carbohydrate.